Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Life is Getting Busy



Since I haven't said it in a while, I want to thank everyone again for reading this and having an interest in my new life!  This week was spent working more, while also trying to have fun with friends.  My work schedule is very different from a normal schedule because I have a class for 2 hours in the morning, and then another class for 2 hours at night.  My night class is in the office and this is the view that I get to look at every night.

If you have to work at night, that's not a bad view at all!  My night class is a group of students of different ages and different backgrounds.  Having a group is a nice change from my morning class of just 1 student.  I like being able to have more conversation in the group and everyone has their own opinions so that keeps the class interesting.

Tuesday was St. Patty's Day, so a group of co-workers went to an Irish bar to celebrate.  Because I have class until 8:30pm, I had to go straight to the bar from work with 2 other co-workers.  And yes, I was that dork that brought my backpack to a bar.  
The rest of the week was filled with work, Spanish class, and rain.  From Tuesday through Saturday, it rained and rained and rained.  I was told that rainy season is normally like this, where it rains off and on all day long.  However, their rain is more of a lighter constant rain and not a pouring rain.  It is annoying because it rains enough for the roads and everything to be wet, but it is not hard enough to really need an umbrella.

On Friday, I went out with some friends from the Spanish school.  I feel so old around these people because most of them are taking a gap year and are 19 years old.  There are a few older ones, but the majority of the students are very young.  I can't imagine leaving everything and moving to a new country when I was 19.  

The entire week, I was looking forward to Saturday night.  Dad and Dakota were flying in, and I was so ready to see my pup...and my dad of course.  They arrived late, so Dakota came home with me while Dad went to the hotel.  Sunday morning, I woke up early because of the sun and my 4 legged alarm clock.  Because we were up, Dakota and I went for about an hour long walk to a nearby park. 
As soon as we got back, Dad sent me a text saying he wanted to go to the park since it was such a beautiful day.  So, Dakota and I got in a taxi and met Dad at Parque Carolina for another 1 1/2 hour walk.  I really enjoyed showing him around my city and where I work.  However, I was exhausted by the end of the walk, so we found a place to eat lunch outside.  Once we were done eating, we took Dakota back home and headed for Mitad del Mundo- the equator.  Apparently, the French decided that a certain point was the location of the equator back in the 1700s, but they were wrong.  They were south by about 240 meters, but many tourists still go to this location.  Ancient Ecuadorean tribes and GPS have calculated where the equator actually is located.  The Jacksons refuse to go the the fake equator, even if it is more popular, so we walked 240 meters to the real one.  At the real equator, there is a museum that explains the history of different tribes and has some demonstrations that can only happen on the equator.  The guides do a flushing demonstration, where they flush water in the northern and souther hemispheres, and on the equator.  The water flows counter-clockwise on the northern side, clockwise on the southern side, and goes straight down on the equator.  You can also try balancing an egg on a nail, which I was only able to do for 1 second.  Another demonstration is walking along the line of the equator heel to toe with your eyes closed.  This was almost impossible- you feel very drunk.  There is something with the gravitational force being different exactly on the equator.  I was fascinated since these are not experiments that you can alter, so it proves that you are on the equator.


url.jpg
Sorry, this week wasn't incredibly exciting but I am happy to be working so I can make money and experience more of Ecuador.

No comments:

Post a Comment